Re: Topband: K9AY loop still not working right,everything checked out OK

To: "steve d" <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY loop still not working right,everything checked out OK though
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:10:57 -0600
>  Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone encountered this
> problem with this type of loop antenna? What was the cause
> and how was it fixed? Can it be my ground (4 foot rod, 600
> ohm terminating resistance, about 3-4" topsoil then clay)?
>>>

> Hi Steve,
>
> You can try a ground, but if everything is switching it most
> likely is you have too many other conductors too close to
> the antennas. That system just might not ever work in your
> environment.
>
> 73 Tom (W8JI)
---

If the loop wiring is correct, I agree with Tom that the likely problem is
coupling to surrounding objects.

You can get some sense of the local conditions by walking around your
property with a portable AM radio tuned to a fairly weak station high in
band -- its loopstick will couple to objects as you approach them (within a
few feet), increasing the noise and signal levels. It's far from a perfect
troubleshooting tool, but so easy that it's worth trying on the off chance
that you'll figure out which things are "hot" with re-radiation, maybe even
what corner of your property is quietest.

Gary
K9AY