Re: Topband: K9AY loop still not working right,everything checked out OK

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY loop still not working right,everything checked out OK though
From: "Steve Flood" <flood@ixi.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:46:17 -0700
From: "K9AY" >

> You can get some sense of the local conditions by walking around your
> property with a portable AM radio tuned to a fairly weak station high in
> band -- its loopstick will couple to objects as you approach them (within
> few feet), increasing the noise and signal levels. >

My noise level is pretty high regardless of antenna - K9AY, T-vertical,
dipole, delta loop - doesn't matter, S7-S9 pretty constant.  Out of
curiosity, I took the AM portable around my little acre to look for noise.
Interestingly, as I keep the loopstick oriented for max signal on a 1690
station and approached my K9AY loop wires within a foot, the signal drops
and flutters.  Within a few inches, the signal is gone.  It does the same
with the nearby chain-link fence.  When I approach my T-vertical the signal
increases to the point of audio distortion.  I hope this all means things
are good?????

Steve KK7UV