Topband: Snake evaluation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Snake evaluation
From: "Glenn and Barbara Kurzenknabe" <bgkurz@comcast.net>(by way of BillTippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:00:27 -0500
I built a "snake on the ground" 160 M RX antenna per a post of a few
weeks ago.  It is 300 ft. of RG-58 with the far end shorted and the
RX end has only the inner conductor going directly to the RX.  The
shield is floating.   No pre-amp is used.  It has been outside about
a week now and the results are disppointing!  I have yet to hear a DX
signal, when I switch  to it.  It is not as quiet as the "Short 280
ft. West Beverage".  I am even questioning the value for stateside
use.   What am I missing?  The EWE's continue to be the best
"general" RX antennas in my array.  The Beverage has been decent,
when there is something on to the "west" to hear.
73
de Glenn, K3SWZ