Re: Topband: Aluminum wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Aluminum wire
From: "Milt Jensen" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:24:22 -0700
From: "Pat Rose" <w5ozi@ktc.com>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:55 AM
Subject: Topband: Aluminum wire

> Folks,
> If you can find it (and afford it), #6 ACSR with its steel core is super
wire for all kinds of antennas.  Either split bolts or compression fittings
> with some No Alox make excellent connectors.
> 73,  Pat, W5OZI

I was thinking the same thing this morning, Pat.

For those who don't know the acronyms of the electric power industry, ACSR
means Aluminum Conductor, Steel Reinforced.  As Pat explains, there is a
single, solid steel wire center conductor with 7 strands of soft drawn
aluminum conductor laid over the core.  Steel for strength and aluminum for
light weight and conductivity.

The cable is designed to be installed under tension in overhead power line
applications and it can be tensioned/sagged over long spans for Beverages,
wire antennas, open line balanced feeders, etc.  I highly recommend the
compression fittings with the NoLox already in the connector.  You do need
the compression tool designed for the connnector size to make the correct
compression/connection.  If you are able to obtain some conductor from an
electric utility, almost certainly you can make arrangements buy the
connectors and to borrow a compression tool (hand operated) for the duration
of your project.

Wire brush the cable before applying the connector to remove the heavy
aluminum oxide covering.  If you do use split bolt, or any type of
mechanical, bolted, connector, it MUST be of a type for aluminum or all
types of metals.  Copper and aluminum conductors MUST be kept separated.

This is a relatively small conductor (#6 stranded AWG) and is NOT used often
other than in street lighting circuits.  So, it may not be readily available
as an unused item from the utility.

However, you may be able to contact your local electric power distribution
company and find that they have a lot of used cable thrown in a pile
somewhere.  Scrap metal dealers do NOT like this wire because it is TOO much
trouble to get the small amount of aluminum separated from the small amount
of steel.

So, check it out and see what kind of a deal you can find.

Milt, N5IA