Re: Topband: CQ 160 WW

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 WW
From: "LA5HE Ragnar Otterstad" <la5he@otterstad.dk>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:56:46 +0100
This years top band contest was a mixed experience. On one hand, a WW contest
is always a thrill, but on the other hand this one was very frustrating. Why?
Too many stations on too little room. This leads to a situation where you have,
within minutes after the contest started, a string of pearls of strong
(overpowering) stations continuously calling CQ TEST, often not hearing
stations coming back to them. My frustration was that I heard weaker US
stations calling under the strong europeans. If I tried to call one of them I
immediately heard the europoean cry "QSY"
or "LID" or ... Evidently he did not even hear the other station.

What you describe is excactly why I am not participating in this event.
I just go in for a couple of hours and working stations high in frequency,
where there usually is less QRM.

BTW  The suggestion to send your call only once is a good one.  More than ever
is DX lost due to  strong
EUropean station sending his call 3-4 times.   Even experienced topband  DXers
are sinners !!

73  Rag LA5HE