Re: Topband: CQ 160 WW

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 WW
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:58:35 -0500

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:08:06 -0500
From: "Bill G. K3SV" <k3sv@direcway.com>

Only a part-time participant, I heard plenty of DX calling under
stateside CQ machines. I worked a few of them but the confusion that
gets created gives me a headache. On topband, a "balanced" system is
pretty important. Balanced meaning, you can work what you can hear,
and vice-versa, you can hear the people that are responding to your
CQ. I can hear a ton of DX on a low hanging dipole, but I have no
prayer of working the majority of them. If I use that antenna to Xmit
on, I just add to the confusion. I suspect there are many
"un-balanced" topband systems in these 160 contests. The headaches
and frustration build when you pack all of this confusion into a
small bandwidth.   73 Bill