Topband: CW speed

To: kj9i@netins.net
Subject: Topband: CW speed
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:14:11 -0500
    I find the choice of speed in adverse conditions depends
on the nature of the adversity.

    For normal signals but lots of static crashes, faster
sending helps.  This was the case when I was at VK9ML.  My
biggest problem was collecting all the characters in a
callsign between the tropical noise crashes.  People who
sent slowly never had enough time to get a letter to fit
into the fraction of a second of lesser noise.

    When I'm the DX, I try to send at the speed at which I
want to hear responses.  If I am sending quickly but still
working stations slowly, that probably means a situation
such as the above.

-- Eric