Topband: CW Speed

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: CW Speed
From: charles Lewis <s9ss160m@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:46:11 -0800 (PST)
I agree with Charlie and Tom that, generally speaking, around 15 to 20 WPM is a
good range.  Usually, when someone drops to a very slow speed it makes copy
even worse for me.

  I have lost the ability to use a paddle or type on the keyboard well due to
muscle spasms.  I have to resort to "canned" CW from my computer.  The program
I use has very little flexibility, so on 160M where I routinely send call signs
and RST's more than once, I do the best I can with a hand key.  That's the
actual reason for the slow code that Ralph cited.  Otherwise, I would probably
work 160M at about 20 WPM.  You don't necessarily have to match my sending
speed.

  BTW - I experienced the thrill of working NA1SS on 2 meters FM yesterday
afternoon with only two watts from an HT fed into an improvised hand held four
element yagi.

  73,
  Charles Lewis - S9SS