Topband: W1AW Frequency Shift

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: W1AW Frequency Shift
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:21:13 -0500
        There seems to be a lot of emotion on
this which frankly doesn't belong on this reflector.
As someone once said, opinions are like ***holes...
we all have one, but I don't feel we need all 1400
subscribers posting theirs here.

        First a few facts:

1.  ARRL **IS** listening.  They have already made
substantial improvement in the quality of W1AW's
signal quality and heard our comments about 1817.5
interfering with European DX signals.

2.  The move would not have gone into effect until
April 3 anyway so it will not hurt the prime DX-ing
season too much to delay it until October 29.

3.  There is plenty of time for rational input on this.

"Under a tight deadline to announce the W1AW
operating schedule 30 days in advance, the League
has rescinded the frequency shift for now. Sumner said
the question will be revisited over the summer to try to
gain consensus on a frequency to shift to after Daylight
Saving Time ends October 29."

http://www.arrl.org/  (scroll down for full release)

        I'll set up a poll on the contesting.com
website like the ones I did previously regarding
changing the CQ 160 contest hours and single
op operating duration.  Contesting.com polls are
tabulated automatically and there is opportunity
to add individual comments if you want.  For an
example, see the poll currently being done there
about 160 conditions this season:

http://www.contesting.com/ (scroll down to Survey)

The next page shows the tabulated results and
a screen for input of individual comments.

        When the poll is ready to go I'll announce
it here and you can all have your say there.

                                73,  Bill  W4ZV