Topband: fixed freq receiving beacons, remote radios, and awards

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: fixed freq receiving beacons, remote radios, and awards
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:24:21 -0500
    May I point out that the Skype receiving beacon is NOT a
remote-controlled receiver.  You can do just one thing:
listen to it, on the frequency to which it has been tuned,
and on its current antenna.  There is no provision for
changing the frequency, changing the antenna, adjusting the
bandwidth, etc.

    To work DX with this Skype receiving beacon would
require your target DX to show up on the beacon frequency,
and to be in a location that can be heard by the beacon and
its antenna.  The chances of someone working much DX this
way seems rather remote to me...

=============

    A whole different area of discussion is the use of
remote-controlled radios (receivers or transmitters) for
awards or competition.  This has nothing in particular to do
with a Skype receiving beacon.  But it is clear that the
technology has progressed to the point where it is practical
and affordable for more people to build and/or use
remote-controlled stations.  The time has arrived to
consider its implications for our awards programs, such as DXCC.

    There is a spectrum of technical arrangements for a
station.  Where does one draw the line between acceptable,
and unacceptable, operations for award or contesting purposes?

1.  An owner/operator places all his antennas, radios and
receivers on his property (owned or rented).  He is
physically at the site when he makes the QSO.

2.  Same as (1), except the owner/operator is not physically
at the site when the QSO is made.  He has used some form of
remote control (UHF, internet, etc).

3.  The operator visits another station, owned by someone
else, with all of its antennas, radios and receivers in one
spot.  The station is nearby; e.g., within the same Field of
the grid square program and the same DXCC country.  The
operator makes a QSO under his callsign.

4.  The operator does the same as (3), except that he is not
at the site and uses some form of remote control.

5.  The owner/operator places all of his transmitters and
antennas at one location, and his receivers and those
antennas at another nearby location that he owns.  He is
physically present at one of these two sites when he makes
the QSO.

6.  Same as (4), except the owner isn't at either of the sites.

    Etcetera... I won't enumerate all the permutations.  My
point is that there are several parameters at play here:
    A. Must the transmitters, receivers, and their antennas
be at the same location?  (This is required for most
contests.)  If not, what is the permitted spacing?
    B. Must the operator be physically present at the
transmitting and/or receiving location?
    C. Must the operator own the station?  If not, what
restrictions (if any) exist on making QSOs for awards
purposes from another person's station?

    There may be other parameters, or other ways to slice
the problem into manageable pieces.

    After decomposing the issue, awards administrators can
make some choices (hopefully with input from the community).
  For example, the following might be considered acceptable
for DXCC:  QSOs made with a remotely-controlled station
under the following conditions:
    -- the transmitter, receiver and antennas used in the
QSO are located within a 500m circle; AND
    -- the station is in the same Grid Field (e.g., JO or
FN) as the operator's current licensed location at the time
of the QSO; AND
    -- if the remote-controlled station is not owned by the
operator, the operator has written permission from the owner
for its use at the time of the QSO.

    In my opinion, QSOs made under these circumstances would
be of similar operating difficulty (propagation, etc) to
those made by traditional means.  Such an approach allows
for a certain degree of technical prowess (as pioneered by
folks such as K9DX), so that hams who live in impaired
locations (like my apartment in the city of Boston) can
chase DX awards.

    And this approach encourages such hams to master the
technology for building, maintaining, and operating stations
in good locations for HF.  The more good HF stations exist,
the better off we are in the next communications emergency.
  A good HF station can be staffed on site, if remote access
is not available... and remote access to well-placed HF
stations near (but just outside) a disaster area can be a
valuable asset to those working on relief.

73,
    -- Eric K3NA