Re: Topband: how to set up a Skype receiving beacon

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: how to set up a Skype receiving beacon
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:38:39 -0500
Tom W8JI brings up some interesting points.

I thought about the case of people using distant receivers
to work DX that they would not otherwise be able to work.
That's one reason why the receiving beacon does not allow
any control of the radio.  The Skype connection allows
listening to one frequency only; the chances of finding the
DX on that frequency are smaller.  I used Skype "as is", but
Skype has an API that can be exercised by programmers.
Potentially a bit of software could be created, using this
API, so as to limit a connection to 1-2 minutes... thus
further reducing the utility for someone intent on cheating
at DXCC.  Another alteration that would eliminate the
utility of a receiving beacon for cheating at DXCC, but
preserve most of its utility for propagation/antenna
testing, would be to add a delay of 5 seconds or so.  These
two additions would make the beacon concept a bit more
complex to implement... but, if folks feels the ethical
concerns are great, these are ideas that can mitigate the
ethics issues.

The choice of frequency is a balance of many factors.  I
picked 1832.10 for the proof of concept phase, considering that:
    -- most topband operators can transmit here (with the
notable exception of Japan).
    -- initial beacon use was anticipated to be light.
    -- operators are unlikely to make a test transmission on
the beacon's receive frequency if the frequency is occupied
by an ongoing QSO/pileup copiable at the receiving location,
since the test transmission would be impaired ... and we are
gentlemen on the gentlemen's band.

But I'm open to other choices that allow wide usage.

I feel medium-power transmitting beacons, wherever located,
are less useful for some applications.  These will always be
few in number and, at medium power levels, can't give much
insight to the more marginal (but intriguing!) openings.

Of course others may feel differently.

If, after consideration, the concept is widely considered to
be unethical by the topband community, that's important to
me and I'll shut it down.

If the concept has little utility beyond a novelty factor,
it will die a natural death.

But, if receiving beacons have utility, can be located at a
suitable spot in the band acceptable to the community, and
don't raise serious ethical issues, then why not encourage them?

-- Eric K3NA