Topband: Radar last night?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Radar last night?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 10:42:19 -0700
When I was working DF2PY and G3JMJ, I heard some really strange noise
on the band.  I didn't report it at first, because I thought it might
have been due to a new video card I installed on my computer - but
Wolf, DF2PY, reported hearing a radar on the band at the same time.

Either my video card is getting out really well, or it was something
else.  This probably isn't the BY radar we have been talking about as
I believe the sun wasn't anywhere near setting in BY at 0500z.

It almost sounded like power line buzzz - but had a frequency component
to it that seemed to repeat every kHz or so as you tuned through it.
The noise blanker took some of it out.

The signal didn't really peak up in any direction with my beverages,
so this would appear to have been a rather high angle event.

Did anyone else hear it?  Any ideas where it is coming from?  If it is
on tonight, I'll make a .WAV file of it.

Also - Wolf sent me some pictures of his "underwater" antenna.  You can
see them here: http://www.kkn.net/~tree/df2py

Tree N6TR/7
Boring, OR