Topband: Salt and fresh water as ground

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Salt and fresh water as ground
From: Björn Mohr <bm@broadcast.se>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:23:30 +0200
I have a question some of you might be able to answer;

How good is a mix of fresh and salt water as ground for a vertical. I am
living in Stockholm and have access to the Baltic Sea from one QTH, but
being a mix of fresh and salt water and not nearly as salt as the Atlantic I
wonder how efficient it would be to place a vertical over the this water.

And how would one best make contact with water? I've read in ON4UN's Low
Band DXing that the "skin effect" applies to water, and that letting wires
sink to the bottom is a waste.

Anyone have ideas or experiences?

73 de Björn /SM0MDG