Re: Topband: Beverages sharing supports?

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages sharing supports?
From: Kenneth Grimm <kgrimm@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:44:53 -0500

> Alan Benoit wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the possibly newby question, but I can't seem to find an answer to
>> this in the ON4UN book or the archives:
>>
>> Can 2 seperate beverages (seperate feedlines, seperate transformers,
>> seperate ground rods) share the same supports?  I have a 585' NE beverage I
>> recently put up that uses 5' steel conduit supports with PVC pipe insulators
>> at the top (~ 7' height).  I have cut slits at the top of the PVC pipes and
>> run the wire through those.
>>
>> Could I drill a hole in the PVCs about a foot vertical down from the current
>> wire and run another wire through these as an independent SW beverage
>> without excessive coupling of the antennas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your replies.
>>
>> 73,
>> Alan, WQ5W
>>

> Hi Alan,
>
> I'm not going to answer your question directly, but rather give you
> another idea.
>
> Since you intended to run a second Bev, presumably you also intended to
> run separate coax feeds to each.  That being the case, why don't you
> send DC down the coaxes as well, to energise a relay at the far end of
> either coax.  Use a SPST relay, and connect the end of the Bev wire to
> common, the inner of your coax to NO, and the termination resistor to
> NC.  This way, as you select the required feeder, the terminations are
> switched automatically.
>
> This method removes the necessity for a second wire, with the possible
> problems of cross coupling.  I used it very successfully when in Durban
> operating as ZS5K.
>
> 73, Greg, ZL3IX

Google is your friend.  A search for two wire beverage will result in
several useful ideas.  The link to the following article represents what
I consider to be the best way of doing the switching, alluded to by Greg
in his comments above.  I've used this technique in the past and will be
erecting a NE/SW edition of the antenna later this winter......or
possibly next spring, depending on how the move to the new QTH goes.

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=7459

--

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr