Re: Topband: 160 mtr low signal - CW Pitch

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 mtr low signal - CW Pitch
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:40:07 -0800
On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 04:58:51PM -0600, AD5VJ  Bob wrote:

> Please tell me what you think on this. I have an IC-775 es hit has
> pitch control so it can be changed.

As everyone has said - personal preference is a big factor.  I typically
use 400 or 450 hz.

One other thing that should be mentioned is what you do with your RF Gain
control.  This again seems to be personal preference, with one camp backing
the gain back to that it is comfortably above the noise level and using
more AF gain.  Then there are those who like the RF gain wide open.

At HC8N, I noticed one of the new operators trying to convince the 160 op
that they would hear better with the RF gain backed down.  I totally agree,
but I don't know if the operator adopted the suggestion or not.

One thing where I do have a different choice is when doing EME.  The noise
you listen too is very different than low band QRN.  I find myself using
SSB filters - and not really having much of a preference on the tone.  AGC
is no issue in this case.

Tree N6TR