Topband: location of vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: location of vertical
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:05:38 EST
Within the next few months I will begin construction of my new contest
station on the Big Island in Hawaii.  I have all the bases covered as far  as
10
through 80 meters goes.

My QTH sits on a hill with a big downslope to JA/EU and W.  I was able  to
model the antennas (checking incoming angles) for my 10 through 80 meter
antennas using the N6BV program since all the antennas are horizontally
polarized
and it appears as though those bands should be very exciting to  operate.
However, on 160 I want to install a full sized wire vertical on a  catenary
system
suspended between two towers.  Assuming the ground is  average and the
installation of 40 to 60 120 foot radials underground would  there be any
advantage
or disadvantage to mounting it on the edge of the hill  vs. a flat area?

Situation 1 has the vertical on the edge of steep rolling drop off from 830
feet down to the Pacific about 4000 feet away.  Half the radial system  would
be on the downslope, half would be on fairly flat land.  Above ground  radials
could be run on the downhill side to provide a "flat ground system",  but I
really don't want to have to do that.

Situation 2 has the vertical about 250 feet further back on a plain and  then
down the same drop off.  All radials would be on pretty much the same  plane

Looking up the mountain (Mauna Kea, 14000 feet high) in the other direction
I know will not do nice things for my signal going that way (VK,ZL) but I
can't  do much about that.

Will the 1:5 slope going ot the ocean do any good...any bad?  Will  moving
the antenna further back from the slope help or hinder.  I have no  plans to
make it a four square since I don't have the room.  My gut feeling  is the
signal
will be attenuated somewhat going up hill and enhanced going down  hill.

After living on the flatlands of FL, I am finding it is a whole different
world living on a mountainous terrain...as far as antenna design is  concerned.

Thanks for the help.

Bill k4XS/KH6