Re: Topband: location of vertical

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: location of vertical
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:33:57 -0800
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:05:38 EST, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

>My gut feeling  is the signal will be attenuated somewhat going
>up hill and enhanced going down  hill.

My gut feeling and limited experience agrees with yours. Radials
address ONLY the efficiency component of how well your antenna works
-- that is, they minimize I2R losses. The slope of the ground in the
far field surrounding your antenna has a lot to do with vertical
angle.

My gut would not worry at all about the direction sloping down from
you, and put the antenna as far as practical from the up-slope
obstructions -- as long as doing so did not compromise the ground
system.

73,

Jim K9YC