Topband: strange conditions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: strange conditions
From: PACER99@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:46:53 EST
Hi all,

The other day I reported a great opening on top band. Lots of European,
South America and others. Received 579 to 599 reports
from many of the  stations worked.

Some of the emails that I received were interesting.

N7RT who is only 100 miles north of me reported hearing only one European
station. I worked 30.
LA station reported hearing me 30 minutes after his  sunrise.
ZL station reported that I was 599 30 minutes before his  sunset.
JA's 599 30 minutes before their sunset.
YO station worked for his  last state.
G stations for their first Az.

There was a lightning storm at my location between 0100z and 0400z. The  band
was noisy during that time. When the storm
moved out the band became  very quiet and the DX was worked between 0415z and
0815z. I have heard of the  "spot light"
effect but can it be so localized? For such a long period of  time?

Happy new year.

73,
Larry
N7DD