Re: Topband: strange conditions

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: strange conditions
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:21:04 +1300
>  I have heard of the  "spot light"
> effect but can it be so localized? For such a long period of  time?

In my opinion Larry, Yes.  I have a remote receiving array located some
20 miles SW from my home station.  The array has a better RDF than my Tx
antenna at home, which is a simple vertical.  The home QTH is very close
to the sea, which is to the east of me.  I find QUITE often, that
signals from the east are better on the vertical than the array, but the
reverse is also often true.  The period of one being better than the
other can last several days as well, even though they are only 20 miles
apart.

I can't think of any scientific explanation for this observation, but I
am certain of its truth.

73, Greg, ZL3IX