Re: Topband: Small RX Antenna

To: "George Wallner" <gwallner@the-beach.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Small RX Antenna
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:35:37 -0500
On 160 anything is worth a try...but....

> I have built a EWE, which barely works: it has a little
> bit better S/N than
> the vertical. It 100 ft from the vertical and is strongly
> coupled to it: so
> much so that when I change the tuning of the vertical,
> signals and noise on
> the EWE can change as much as 10 dB. Unfortunately,
> signals and noise both
> move in the same direction.

EWE's, Flags, Pennants, the K9AY... they are all different
construction methods of having a simple two-element phased
vertical. If the noise is not coming from a null direction
that is different than the signal's direction....they can't
help.

> I could install a small horizontal dipole at 15'. (Easy to
> do.)

That certainly would reduce groundwave response, especially
broadside to the dipole where the polarization isn't tilted.

> Alternatively, should I go to the trouble of installing a
> magnetic loop?

A "magnetic" loop is normally installed vertically polarized
also (except for response in the null area of the vertical
loop).Unless the noise comes from within 50 or 70 feet, it
is E-field dominant. It's only within the first 70 feet or
less distance on 160 that it is "magnetic".  (Not that it
matters, because noise or bad signals aren't  "electric" nor
are desired or good signals "magnetic".)

Certainly any different antenna is worth a try, but I'd
probably try the dipole first. You actually could try laying
the loop over flat so it is horizontally polarized in all
directions. Horizontally polarized signals will not
propagate along the ground, especially when the ground has
high conductivity, so this might reduce pick-up of distant
local noise.

73 Tom