Re: Topband: Models and the real world

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Models and the real world
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:26:28 -0800
At 04:56 AM 2006-12-30, Tom Rauch wrote:
>IMO people are spending far too much time with models and
>not enough time actually building and measuring what they
>model. We are becoming a world of modelers where the little
>box on the desk gives us a false sense of physical reality.
>I've read more than one article by people who depend on
>models (a few by one guy who wrote and sold antenna
>software) where entirely wrong conclusions are reached or
>impossible antennas are built.
>
>It's actually kind of scary how absolute we think models are
>and how it is ruining our feel for how things really work.

While I largely agree with Tom's point, its also true that before
models were widely available, the amateur literature was full of
broad and exaggerated claims about antenna performance, even if you
ignored the hyperbole from Gotham and other vendors.

I've learned a lot from building models about what does NOT work,
while getting valuable insights into what MIGHT work in the real
world.  (Sadly, I don't have room to actually build 2wl topband
Beverages nor cash for 3x2x4el SteppIR arrays at my QTH.)

Don't forget that it's just as easy to make bad physical measurements
as it is to draw optimistic conclusions from models with
computational transgressions in overly idealistic
environments.  There is no substitute for intelligence, knowledge, and skill.

73 & HNY,
Terry N6RY (who is still looking for an ideal floating current source
driving an isotropic radiator over perfect ground.)