Topband: 160 meter Jamming and OTHR

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 meter Jamming and OTHR
From: "wa4fki" <wa4fki@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:13:28 -0500
Good Day Top Band Operators,

It has been common knowledge about the Chinese OTHR station for over a year
now. Have invaded most amateur bands from Top Band up to 17 meters.

Their persistence on 40 and 80 meters has been experienced for over two years.

Reports and WAVE files indicate these OTHR transmitters have changed their type
of modulation (how they key the transmitters as well as the pulse rate).

Monitoring all these reports indicate major changes in their operations as well
as equipment development. It is curious to note that their 40 meter operation
begins below the low end of 40 meters and carefully go around the Chinese SW BC
stations then take up the lower portion of 40 meters..

If they wanted to the East Coast could be bombarded with this junk, it has
already happened several years ago.

For those of you who don't have any idea what these OTHR stations are and look
like spend a little time surfing the Internet, there are plenty of pictures and
equipment descriptions.

When one is speaking the perhaps thousands of Kilowatts being pumped into
antennas that are miles long then it's no wonder how strong they are.

Everyone should be aware of what is happening to the ham bands, complaints have
been lodged with the ARRL many hams have written their reprehensive in
Washington, what happens then I don't know.

I have pleaded for the hams to write their reprehensive before the election
about this situation but no response. Before the end of the year there was lots
of complaints about the OTHR and JAMMERS but now hardly any reports except your
recent complaints on TOP BAND REFLECTOR. No one seems to be listening, I think
the main reason is that many of the bands from 160 to 20 meters is shared with
other services, therefore nothing is done. The OTHR and the JAMMERS are
military and they seem to do as they please.

I used to work 160 meters but now have moved to 40 meter CW, but I share your
feelings....If something positive is not done many will hams will leave TOP
BAND as well as other bands that have been infiltrated with this CHINESE
VIRUS....

Very Best 73's and good luck.... Oh, the WAVE file of the 40 meter OTHR is a
text book recording...

Bill
WA4FKI