Re: Topband: DX Window

To: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window
From: G3SVL <Chris@G3SVL.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:25:09 +0000
At 23:31 27/01/2007, Phil Clements wrote:
><snip>
>What I noticed last night was that very few rare DX stations take
>advantage of the DX Window. Some of the juiciest ones were operating
>far into the phone portion of the band. As high as 1884 khz!
<snip>

Remember Phil, the bandplan is only 'advisory' in Region1 so it makes
sense to spread ourselves up the band.
(http://www.iaru-r1.org/05%2010%2009%20Region%201%20HF%20Bandplan%202006%20(Amended).pdf).

I only came across a few phone QSO's during the night and they were
up near 1900.

<snip>
>I listened in on the live audio and web cam that the station in
>PA-land (P5M) has up for the contest
>http://160.p5m.com/mainpage.php?band=160 Now I know why the EU
>stations don't bother with us; every QSO was S-9+++, and almost
>every QSO was a new country
<snip>

Huh! Sure there are a lot of S-9+++ signals (with associated key
clicks) but once you've worked the 40- 50  DX countries that are
readily accessible in EU you need to get the NA mults -- and where
are they? crammed into 30Khz and under all those S-9+++ EU
signals!  You can't run up a decent score from here without getting W
mults (unless there is zero propagation and no one makes it across -
which is rare!)

Anyway, my signal made it into Tx this morning, condx were better
than yesterday. So far 20 NA & 54 DX mults - but no GW, GI or GU -
how weird is that!!

73  Chris G3SVL