Topband: DX Window

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DX Window
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:31:52 -0600
My understanding is that US and VE stations should not call CQ in the window
during times when it is possible for DX to be heard (i.e. from just before
sun set to at least an hour after sun rise).
(snip)

What I noticed last night was that very few rare DX stations take advantage
of the DX Window. Some of the juiciest ones were operating far into the
phone portion of the band. As high as 1884 khz! I can only guess that by
operating on these bizarre frequencies (below 1817, and above 1850) that
they are self-shielded from us pesky, weak Yanks trying for a new DXCC
country. By only working the louder EU-Asian stations, the rare DX can have
a tremendous QSO rate with much less fatigue. I listened in on the live
audio and web cam that the station in PA-land (P5M) has up for the contest
http://160.p5m.com/mainpage.php?band=160
They were doing search-and-pounce all night, and it was like I was sitting
in a chair right next to the operator! Now I know why the EU stations don't
bother with us; every QSO was S-9+++, and almost every QSO was a new
country; sort of like us working in a Sweepstakes contest here in NA.

I was watching the spots come in on DX Monitor last night. 95-98% of the
spots were EU and NA intra-continental QSO's; just like two separate
contests going on at the same time. Truly bizarre, with the mostly terrific
conditions and weather we had.

Kudos to all the NA stations that respected the DX Window! I didn't listen
all night, but I heard no infractions at all here in Texas. Too bad that all
of the rare Asian stations that were on did not chose to call CQ in the
window during their SR/SS times.

Another thing that happens every year; no exception this year, was the
spotting of search-and-pounce stations. By the time the spot is finally
posted on the cluster, the station is long-gone. It would do us all a favor
if only stations in the "run" mode were posted.

Just some observations and rantings from an old Codger in E. Texas. All of
us here in Texas that chase DX on 160 need at least 125 "new ones" to catch
up with W4ZV!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC