Topband: Coax velocity factor

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Coax velocity factor
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:10:59 -0600
Hi, All

I'm installing an end-fire pair of phased Beverages here and decided
to actually measure the velocity factor of my coax (RG-6, foam
dielectric) before cutting the phasing line.  Measured out a given
length near 50 feet, known to the nearest inch, shorted the end and
swept for the first Z minimum with my trusty Auteck RF-1.  Made half
a dozen or more Z measurements and then double checked the length of
the cable.  Every time I get the same results: VF=84%.  This just
seems a tad high to me, especially when 75% is the published value
for RG-6, though I know the VF of foam cable is higher.  Could the
frequency display on the RF-1 be off, or is this value typical?

Anyone else get similar results when checking this type of cable?

73,
Charles - K5ZK