Re: Topband: Coax velocity factor

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Coax velocity factor
From: "Victor Kean" <vkean@ds.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:30:29 -0400
> Anyone else get similar results when checking this type of cable?

I've been building phased arrays recently, and I too have been
measuring the velocity factor of RG-6.  Some Belden 1189A
used for end-fire phasing lines measures 83%, which is consistent
with the datasheet.  On the other hand, 4 1000' lengths of surplus
"satellite TV" coax measure 83%, 78%, 75% and 76%.  All of
these "RG-6 type" cables are foam. They make acceptable feed
lines when "adjusted" for constant propagation delay.  "Electrical
length" is another way to express that concept.

Victor, K1LT