Re: Topband: FT-2000 for serious TB DXing?

To: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT-2000 for serious TB DXing?
From: Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 21:29:09 -0400
Paul Kelley N1BUG wrote:
> I am trying to reach a decision as to what rig to get.
>
> I would like to hear from any topband DXers who have used the
> FT-2000. I am interested in any comments on this rig, good or bad,
> but am especially interested in how well the receiver handles the
> challenge of digging out weak CW in a band full of strong signals,
> QRN, etc.
>
> Please reply direct to me if you have used the FT-2000 or are
> interested in the responses to this question. Thanks!
>
> BTW: After having two rig failures in recent weeks, I have not been
> around during this "off season" as promised. I will be back as soon
> as I make a decision and buy a new rig!
>
> 73,
>
> Paul N1BUG

The 2 KHz numbers in the ARRL review are .....  AWFUL.

The 2 KHz BDR is 64 dB on 80 meters.
The 2 KHz IP3 is -19 dBm.  That is not PLUS 19 but MINUS 19 dBm.
The 2 KHz IMD dynamic range is 63 dB.

WOW.  This is just awful.  At 2 Khz,  the receiver has basically just
collapsed.  With a strong station just outside of your "500 Hz" filter,
your receiver will basically be blocked off.

Two S9 signals will produce lots of spurious emissions inside your
passband due to 3rd order products.  Myriad signals adding up on 160
should introduce lots of ghosts in your passband.

If I were serious about Topband enough to buy a new rig, this one would
definitely NOT tempt me even if it does look like an FT-1000.

Bob
N4HY