Topband: Multiple Ground Systems

To: Top Band <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Multiple Ground Systems
From: Michael Rauh <mikerauh@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
When laying out the radial fields for vertical antennas in an array, we are
told to terminate the radials on a bus wire where the radials overlap.  Why?
What harm would come it this was not done?

The only explanation I have found so far says simply that the overlapping wires
serve no purpose.  The thinking seems to be a radial field conducts currents in
non-radial directions more or less as well as it does along the direction of
the radial wires.  Does anyone have any evidence this is true?

Now imagine a four-square radial field laid down on top of a radial field for a
single vertical at the center.  We are told to bond the four-square radials to
the radials of the single vertical.  Why?  What harm would come it this was not
done, especially in the case where there is no metal-to-metal contact between
the radials?

Mike Rauh W8GT