Re: Topband: Multiple Ground Systems

To: Top Band <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Multiple Ground Systems
From: Michael Rauh <mikerauh@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 07:22:24 -0700 (PDT)
Gary, K9AY wrote:

"I prefer to think of a radial system as an approximation of a solid sheet
rather than individual conductors."

Tom, W8JI wrote:

"Why does the current need to be in any particular direction
Rick? That buss, assuming you have 50 radials or more, has a
pretty low termination impedance for the small currents in
the radial. While it may not be the shortest path possible
to a distant area because of the angle, it is a pretty large
path with a low impedance."

*************************************

I think now I better understand the "buss wire" connection.  Suppose there is
an EM field that wants to drive a tangential current in a dense radial field on
the ground.  A current could actually flow back to the junctions of the radials
and out again.  The parallel components of the current could cancel, leaving a
net current in the tangential direction.

The foregoing is naive, since it does not take into account inductive or
capacitive coupling between the radials.  I expect the coupling would enhance
the solid disk effect.

It would be fun to simulate this.  If only I had a copy of NEC4.

If the radial field is like a solid disk, it only makes sense to truncate the
overlapping portions.

ON4UN in his book often refers to a radial field as a screen.  That seemed
strange to me.  I thought a screen would need to be a mesh or a solid sheet.
Again, if the radial field approximates a solid sheet, the screen idea makes
sense.

So,  if I have a dense radial field for my 160M vertical, perhaps I won't need
as many radials for my 80M four-square supported from the vertical?

Mike W8GT