Re: Topband: 160m portable operating

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m portable operating
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:53:08 -0500
> The dipole will be pretty high angle, while the vertical will be
> pretty low angle.
>
> Jim K9YC

This is true only for a  straight vertical or a Tee (or top hat) loaded
vertical. An inverted-L has significant high angle radiation, making it a
good compromise as a single antenna.

An "L" that is 55 feet vertical and 80 feet horizontal is 5 dB down at
zenith (vs. a deep null for a T-top). At 50 degrees elevation, it's just 1
dB down from max.

FWIW, This size "L" is what I used for last season's 160M contests. It was
installed at my new QTH just like a portable operation -- hung from trees
with a good-size, but makeshift, radial system. Quick'n'dirty Beverages,
too. It worked rather well.

73, Gary
K9AY