Re: Topband: Binocular Xfrmr

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Binocular Xfrmr
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:23:08 -0400
> I wound a transformer for my K9AY array on a Mix 73 Binocular core; 3
> turns primary & 8 turns secondary, with # 26 wire. It is a miserable
> failure on 160,

A miserable failure in what sense?

My flag transformer is very similar but 2 turn primary/7 turn secondary.

It gives a 2:1 SWR on 160m but the antenna still seems to work okay on
160m and I don't seem to have  inordinate problems with common mode
ingress.   Are you hoping to phase yours and looking for excellent
SWR?

The suggested flag transformer in Low Band DXing uses three cores
stacked so that the primary can be 1 or maybe 1.5 turns .  I think
that would help 160m SWR in my case, and possibly in yours.

I'm going to try the 3 core transformer someday just to see if I
notice a difference from less capacitive coupling between windings,
but I don't feel like the single core transformer is a serious
problem.

Dan