Re: Topband: 1/8 wave vertical

To: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1/8 wave vertical
From: "Chortek, Robert L" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 13:39:45 -0800
ADVJ Wrote:

>>Will an 1/8 wave vertical work for top band or do you have to start
with 1/4 wave?
Perhaps top loading it would work??

I can confirm that a 1/8 wave vertical WILL WORK on 160. I have a 60ft
vertical base loaded with a 7" diameter coil made of 1/4" copper tubing
and the antenna has allowed me to work 73 dxcc countries in the past
three years from the black hole of San Jose, California. I live on a
small city lot.  The antenna is mounted 3 feet from the house, base fed
at about 3 feet, and uses about 12 or so elevated radials. The radials
only cover about 200 degrees of the compass, and result in an
asymmetrical pattern. Far from optimum in many respects (height,
location next to house, asymmetrical pattern, radials too low, etc).

Top loading would be much better, if you can manage it, because it will
increase the efficiency of the antenna.  Put up the best antenna system
you can, GIVEN YOUR PARTICULAR CONSTRAINTS, and HAVE FUN.  Don't worry
that it is not "optimum".  You CAN work a lot of dx on 160, even with a
base loaded vertical from a crummy location!!!!

73,

Bob/AA6VB