Re: Topband: Filters and grounding

To: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Filters and grounding
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:59:42 -0500
> Note that these comments are not actually in conflict.
> What Merv is
> describing is not actually grounding, rather it is a form
> of shielding.

Hi Gary,

I disagree. It is not a form of "shielding" to ground the
filter.

If grounding has any effect at all on the system then the
shield connections at or between the filter output port and
the detecting device input port, in this case the receiver,
must be defective.

If someone has that problem and sees that effect they would
be wise to stop applying a band-aid and find out what is
really wrong. If the equipment design is bad, say the input
port of the receiver is responding to shield currents, then
it really needs to be fixed at the receiver and not at the
filter.

I have 3000 feet of cable going back to a pasture and the
strongest BC signal on it, with it open, sorted or
terminated, is only barely out of the receiver noise floor.
There is absolutely no difference between that cable and how
a filter would behave.

If you system between the filter and the radio is responding
to signals on the outside of the cable, it would be wise to
find and fix the real problem. It is not wise to apply a
band-aid and call it fixed.

73 Tom