Re: Topband: Filters and grounding

To: "'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>, "'K9AY'" <k9ay@k9ay.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Filters and grounding
From: "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:36:32 +0200
Gary said:
> Note that these comments are not actually in conflict.
> What Merv is
> describing is not actually grounding, rather it is a form
> of shielding.

And Tom replied:

>I disagree. It is not a form of "shielding" to ground the
>filter.

>If grounding has any effect at all on the system then the
>shield connections at or between the filter output port and
>the detecting device input port, in this case the receiver,
>must be defective.

I am just wondering here: The outer of the coax and the connectors all have
a finite resistance. In the presence of a very strong field, the  impedance
reduction brought about by another path to ground should reduce the voltage
on the cable?  Is this not the reason why we sometimes bury our  coax cables
in addition to ferrite chokes and other common mode noise reducing
techniques? If the coax shield and connectors were perfect then it would not
have been needed? I am not arguing any point here, just seems to me as if
you both are right, if you have a poor contact/connector somewhere: fix it.
If it is all ok within limits, maybe additional precautions like additional
grounding is needed?

Regards,
Raoul, ZS1REC
20:23