Re: Topband: Preamp for 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Preamp for 160
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 06:20:55 +1200
Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:
>> Will these connector types cause allot of loss to the incoming signal
>> or do I just solder on the >coax as though they were pl-259's
>
> No measurable loss will occur if you just solder cheap radio shack RCA
> connectors to the coax or use adapters to some more common RF
> connectors. I doubt you'd get measurable loss if you taped the coax
> into the connectors ;-)
>
> Here's a photo I took of a chain of 18 or so adapters, including some
> very cheaply made phono adapters, passing 100W at 1.8MHz with not even
> a watt of noticeable loss:
Hi Dan,

The problem with cheap connectors is not loss, but the type of plating
they use.  With the wrong type, and a trace of damp, the micron thick
layers of corrosion can make very good IMD generators.  Not a problem if
you have no nearby strong signals, but with some MFBC around, you really
need to watch out.

73, Greg, ZL3IX