Re: Topband: Thanks for the memories: the glory days of 160

To: "Doug Mein" <mein.doug@gmail.com>, "TopBand Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Thanks for the memories: the glory days of 160
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 09:54:15 -0400
On 4th July, Doug wrote...

"...Thanks for the memories: the glory days of 160..."

********************************

I guess ANY so-called "glory days" are all relative...heck, some time in the
not too distant future, even TO-DAY might fall into that celebrated
category!

Who knows?

For me personally, my glory days on 160 fall back to the early 70's, when I
was first licensed. I deliberately looked for a good, used rig that
specifically covered the band, because of the fact that I used to listen to
the W1AW code practice transmissions on it religiously in 1970, prior to
getting licensed in '71. Somehow that me feel connected to the band. Go
figure.

Anyway, armed with a 3rd hand E.F. Johnson Ranger-1, an 80-meter half-wave
dipole fed with open feeders, and a homebrewed transmatch, I gamely ventured
forth onto Top Band, even participating in the annual ARRL 160-meter contest
(1973, or '74, I believe). I made over 100 QSOs in that event, too, which
was quite an achievement considering the challenges everyone faced with day
time / night time power restrictions, 25-KHz wide "sub" bands, the infamous
LORAN QRM, etc.

It all contributed to my feeling like a real radio pioneer!

Looking back in my log books from that day, probably my biggest regret is
the fact that I never bothered to QSL any of the contacts that I made with
icons on the band like Stew (W1BB), and Doug (W1FB).

Hindsight is 20-20 vision, obviously...

Get on 160, and enjoy it, Doug --- before too long you'll be looking back &
see that these were YOUR "...good old days..."!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ