Topband: Boring Report

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring Report
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:07:23 -0800
On Saturday afternoon - I took a break from working on my suntan
to check the band about 70 minutes before sunset.  I was hearing
several Europeans.  I finally got RU3DX to notice me and put him
in the log at 2329 UTC - and my sunset time was 0035.

GJ4CBQ hung in there and we exchanged RSTs at 0034 UTC - so we
had a good peak at my sunset.  The band was okay - but never
great during the evening, but I logged a total of 10 Europeans
before working 5K0T and going to bed.  Maybe most of the big
signals were focused on working them as they seemed to be making
a lot of QSOs into Europe.

I had worked HK0BKX before, so this wasn't a new country, but
the GJ4 was - #214 for me.  It's been a fruitful season so far
with 9L, A25, OJ0 and UR as new ones.  Hoping to get XW1B during
the CQ WW and maybe something in zone 21, 22 or 34.

I got up early in case the band was open like it was the previous
day.  I found RU4SU and he initially gave me a 579 when I called
him, but upgraded me to a 599!  This was at 1335 UTC.  I went
up the band and worked another 10 Europeans.  The band was not
as good as the day before, but there were some good signals out
of UA4 land and I worked a few stations I hadn't worked before
(OH1DD, UA4LDP, UA0FAI and UA4YA).  I got a few SWL reports from
OZ and I this morning, but no QSOs.

Of course - this means conditions will be horrible next weekend
during the CQ WW DX contest.  I am also planning to do a single
op effort in the ARRL 160 contest - so maybe they can be bad
then too.  :-)

73 Tree N6TR/7
Boring, OR