Topband: New CQ160 contest Rules

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: New CQ160 contest Rules
From: RK <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 02:43:56 +0000
Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving Guys,

Hopefully I'm not going off half bent or the deep end....................

While the following may be suited best in another forum, it directly applies
as well to the activities of the majority of this group as well.

Out and about this Tuesday I picked up a copy of December CQ magazine which
has the 2008 contest results and partial content of the new 2009 CQ160 rules
which appeared on CQ's website sometime on the Eve of Thanksgiving.

http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/160_Rules_2009.pdf

The 1st major key change is the contest start time of 2200Z Jan 23rd as
compared to 0000Z in the past. I admit I have no idea why this changed, but I
have to ask what benefit it is to myself or others on the left coast in the
only Topband US sponsored DX contest? This time change will certainly skew the
contest records and increase scores for the guns in Zone 5. After spending
years of time and great sums of cash to be just out of the box scores they
throw another one at us. Six hours of unimpeded grey-line to vast numbers of
10 point multipliers. Yikes!

The 2nd major change is the DX exchange of RST and Zone for 2009 as compared
to RST and Country in previous contests. You better check your logging
programs and be prepared to ask for reports over and over again.

I believe that contest records, times and exchanges are the holy grail.

Your comments direct or indirect would be appreciated.

Bob Kile, W7RH
DM35OS