Re: Topband: New CQ160 contest Rules

To: "RK" <midnight18@cox.net>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New CQ160 contest Rules
From: "Milt, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:27:21 -0700
From: "RK" <midnight18@cox.net>

> The 1st major key change is the contest start time of 2200Z Jan 23rd as
> compared to 0000Z in the past. I admit I have no idea why this changed,
> but I
> have to ask what benefit it is to myself or others on the left coast in
> the
> only Topband US sponsored DX contest? This time change will certainly skew
> the
> contest records and increase scores for the guns in Zone 5. After spending
> years of time and great sums of cash to be just out of the box scores they
> throw another one at us. Six hours of unimpeded grey-line to vast numbers
> of
> 10 point multipliers. Yikes!

> Bob Kile, W7RH
> DM35OS

Bob,

Actually, most of the "records" for these contests were made under the
contest time frame in the rules as they have been changed back to.  That is,
the starting and ending hours.  The two hours later starting time was
implemented just 3-4 years ago, where it had been 2200Z for many, many years
before.

I will not be bashful.  I was one who lobbied for the return to the 2200Z
start time.  If you will think about it, the change to 0000Z actually
provided a 3rd evening for a chance at the 10 point EUs for the central and
eastern time zones whereas it added nothing for the western 3rd of the
country.  I made a thorough analysis of the timing for all major ham
populations world wide, and a determination was made that there was no
detriment to any nightime operating time periods (total hours of darkness)
anywhere.  That was the basis of my recommendation to return the starting
and ending times to the previous (historical) hours.

The exact opposite of your assumption will be the result.

I am glad the previous time format was reinstated.

Mis dos centavos.

Milt, N5IA