Re: Topband: 160 to NA

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 to NA
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:46:39 -0500
I confess, I'm one of those mindless CQers.  Sort of.

I cobbled the station together after 8 months off the air, but never got my rx
antennas
or the bandpass filters installed.   In the end, I could hear lots of folks
calling at
my noise floor, but couldn't pick most of them out. Nothing particularly new or
unique to
that, but very, very frustrating.

The combination of the high noise levels here in Washington, DC, apparently
being the only
one on from this mult, having a special event callsign AND my rustiness
(apologies to the
many folks whose call I busted) did not help.

I started late both nights (after midnight local) and managed to miss the EU
openings on
Saturday and Sunday morning.   NS3T , about 5 miles from me, made them both and
too,
worked KL7 (first time he's heard one -- I've never heard one). I think Jamie
made WAS.
I missed AR, KS, SD, WY, AK.  I worked  25 DX, he worked more than 40.

Not my best effort by a long shot. I ran 95% of the time, a mistake. I should
have been
S&Ping more for mults.  That notwithstanding I had my best continuous and
hourly rates.

Looks like this spring and summer will be spent fixing the antennas and making
certain
everything works before the next contest starts. Hopefully, I'll stay injury
free in 2009
-- 2 rounds of knee surgery tn 2008 certainly put a damper on  my efforts

Again, apologies to those I didn't hear and those whose call I busted.

See you in the next one!

Eric W3DQ (op, W3A)
Washington, DC

421  QSOs.