Topband: CQ160 observations from a lil' gun

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: CQ160 observations from a lil' gun
From: doktorij@bellsouth.net
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:51:40 +0000
I'm slowly getting caught up with the Topband journal postings, and am
semi-coherent again ;o)

I run LP or QRP on 160. I don't have any real interest in owning an amp, so I
can't comment on any issues related to that aspect.

As a lil' gun, holding a run frequency can be a real challenge any where under
1850. Trying to dig out a weak signal can be the kiss of death to keeping a run
frequency. I will make every effort to pull someone out. When the weak station
repeats it's call, once rarely is sufficient, more than three times (maybe two
if one is sending slow) is too many. If the repeats go too long without my
transmitting to establish someone is on the frequency, it vaporizes and we both
lose out.

I'm lucky, my QTH is reasonably quiet and I hear a lot on my Tx antenna, not
just noise. I did have a 330' beverage pointed roughly to 60 degrees. It did
help cut down some of the QRM. There were weak stations calling me, usually the
timing was poor. I'd call for a while with no responses, then have four or five
call at once. The pecking order depends on how much of a call I catch and I
seem to catch lower pitched signals better than higher ones. Generally, the
louder stations get worked first. The folks who are well within my pass band
get worked first. When I'm not all thumbs, or need to correct something, I can
do 4 QSOs per minute... I will get to you :o)

Generally, I like to run listening to about 700 Hz of bandwidth. The past few
160M contests, it's been 400 Hz so my roofing filter kicks in. Even with this
sharp skirted filter, the folks on either side of me are generating a S4 or
better noise floor. Going much narrower basically makes you deaf to all but the
best centered callers. If you're not being heard, QSY a little, that might be
all it takes...

With the beverage, some of the weaker Western stations were just audible. I
imagine this is a problem with many not being heard. VY2ZM comes to mind, when
he's working EU he basically doesn't hear anyone except the loudest signals off
the rear of the array. No matter how loud he sounds to you. Too, in CQ160, are
you going to give up 10 point QSOs for 2 pointers? Probably not, if you're
serious about the contest...

I can't explain the monster EU signal calling CQ like it was an SOS, who can't
hear me, yet I can find another pipsqueak signal from the same country down a
couple kHz and work them on the first call. Listening on the wrong freq?
Listening in the "wrong" direction? Listening on the "wrong" antenna? Or just
not listening at all. Go figure.

I wonder too about all the "tuner uppers" who spend 15 minutes tuning on top of
people. I'd like to think it's ignorance, but more than once I have felt it's
intentional.

We've all heard over and over about the incessant pileup calling... It seemed
particularly horrendous in some cases this weekend. Some of the calls heard, do
know better. I wonder if it's a SO2R situation, they're too busy on the run
freq to pay attention to the pileup. Or just once spotted contesters and
non-contesters alike descend with a vengeance. Even when the op gives clear
instructions after every QSO, the insanity persists. Whatever it is, it seems
to get worse every contest.

This contest was exceptional. In general, in a good way, considering just how
densely everyone was packed, folks seemed to allow for the fact that this was
something special. I know there were a few times when I was running that I
heard someone in Europe running other EU stations and the West Coast running
JAs, while I was running whoever would call in... It was a very panoramic view.
Yet, I didn't hear much nastiness being exchanged. That was a plus.

I hope I didn't inadvertently crush someone, and if I did, please accept my
apologies. It wasn't intentional. Also, thanks to those who shared the same
neighborhood where we were all making QSOs. That was fun and there were more
than a few who let me complete a QSO with DX close to their run frequency, make
that virtually on top of their run frequency...

There were a couple folks I know who completed WAS QRP, virtually everyone I've
talked to added a new zone or country or both! I think it was the most
energetic and positive buzz I've ever seen around any contest.

Thanks to all who helped and kept things fun,

Julius
n2wn