Re: Topband: Remote Receiving Antenna

To: zl3ix@inet.net.nz, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Remote Receiving Antenna
From: w2pm@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 05:57:19 -0400
If you have broadband internet service readily available at the remote
site that's the simple way using Ham Radio deluxe or someother PC
control software. I have heard of some people using a Wifi router at
the remote end to provide internet access there (some wifi channels are
actually assigned to Ham Radio as  priority and you use higher power on
them with high gain antennas) but you would be limited to a few miles
at most even if you can establish an RF link because of timing issues.
I am planning a remote receiver myself about 50 miles north of here in
a very remote quiet area at my brothers ski lodge which fortunately has
Cable internet.  I will use a K3 up there but only for receive - but
nothing would stop me using it for TX too if I wanted to (except for a
tx antenna up there) .. 73

Pete W2PM