Re: Topband: remote receiving antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: remote receiving antenna
From: "Jarda OK1RD" <ok1rd@ok1rd.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:58:26 +0200
Message: 3

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 05:57:19 -0400

From: w2pm@aol.com

To: zl3ix@inet.net.nz, topband@contesting.com

If you have broadband internet service readily available at the remote site
that's the simple way using Ham Radio deluxe or someother PC control
software. I have heard of some people using a Wifi router at the remote end
to provide internet access there (some wifi channels are actually assigned
to Ham Radio as priority and you use higher power on them with high gain
antennas) but you would be limited to a few miles at most even if you can
establish an RF link because of timing issues. I am planning a remote
receiver myself about 50 miles north of here in a very remote quiet area at
my brothers ski lodge which fortunately has Cable internet. I will use a K3
up there but only for receive - but nothing would stop me using it for TX
too if I wanted to (except for a tx antenna up there) .. 73

Pete W2PM

Hello guys,

nice discussion but nothing new. I have in use a remote controlled QTH since
2001. I started with remote reception on the Top Band that time but soon I
extended activity on to TXing from remote QTH too. Further I built remote
controlled QTH for the whole HF bands. I do not remember when I called any
station from my home QTH, but it was let say 4 years ago last. I let
developed a complete set up for remote controlling of the far away QTH. The
set is commercial available now.

This is a way how to be more successful on the Topband mainly. In case of
interest, check my www.ok1rd.com pages to find more there or contact me
directly. Unfortunately this technology brings possibility to listen to DX
from remote controlled station situated into country which is close to
DXpeditions. I found a lot of this sort of cases and it was one of the
reasons why I am going to leave 160m dxing. Good luck to all....

73 Jarda, OK1RD