Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Antenna Modeling needed 160 vertical

To: Ed Stallman <n5dg@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Antenna Modeling needed 160 vertical
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:04:57 -0600
Ed,

here are some dimensions derived using EZNEC:

Height 90', 4" diameter
four #14 top hat wires 20'
Base coil 5 uH (make coil 10 uH and tap it)
Radiation resistance 22 ohms

This article by K3LC will help you chose radial lengths numbers.

http://www.ncjweb.com/k3lcmaxgainradials.pdf

A starting place is to use 500' of wire to make twelve 40' radials as shown
in Fig. 3. Being that your vertical is shorter than a 1/4 wavelength these
K3LC graphs are not optimum but I beleive they are more than good enough.

If we say the 32,000 radial system is close to 0 ohms, the 500' radial
system (12 radials) is close to 20 ohms (based on the gain figures). Given
that the radiation resistance your antenna is 22 ohms this gives an input
impedance of 42 ohms, a VSWR at resonance of 1.1:1, a 2:1 VSWR bandwidth of
200 kHz, and a radiation efficiency of 50%.

Install 2000' of radial wire to obtain a 10 ohm ground and a signal increase
of 1.2 dB.

   Dave WX7G