Re: Topband: DX Engineering Receiver 4 Square uing W8JI Passive Elements

To: "Dave Robinson" <ag8b@chartermi.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Engineering Receiver 4 Square uing W8JI Passive Elements
From: "Lennart M" <lennart.michaelsson@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 20:27:25 +0200
Dave, AG8B said:

> One variation of the this system that hasn't been mentioned is to use W8JI
> passive elements instead of the active elements.   DXE doesn't sell these
> passive elements, but you can find all the info you need at W8JI's web
> site.  The advantages of the passive elements are that they are less
> expensive, you can locate them closer to the tx antenna without overload
> problems (noise may force may you to detune the tx antenna) and lightning
> isn't a problem.

I went for another solution: I bought the DXE switch box, made my own Hi Z
amp:s in line with Leee:s  (K7TJR) Hi Z amp:s, slightly modified in order to
cope with the high field strength from my TX antenna and in conjunction with
my own 5.5 m whips it turned out to perform ok.  This RX 4 square is phased
with some of my short beverages by using the DXE-NCC-1 (vastly superior to
the MFJ Phasing box). This phasing gives me a chance to reduce the level of
some strong EU signals and even very local QRM like switching supplies.
Good luck
Len/SM7BIC