Topband: DX Engineering Receiver 4 Square using W8JI PassiveElements

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: DX Engineering Receiver 4 Square using W8JI PassiveElements
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:21:57 -0400
K7TJR wrote:

 >    And lastly Victor K1LT has changed from the loaded elements to
  Hi-Z amplifiers in his arrays. I was hoping he would chime in here
  with his opinions as well. Might have been just the ease of not
  having to deal with radials or top loading on so many elements?

         I'm in the process of adding an RX 4SQ so I can use it in
diversity with Beverages on the other RX port.  I originally planned
to use W8JI's passive elements (25' high with 4 each 25' loading
wires).  Since I'm erecting this is an area I have to clear of trees
and heavy undergrowth, I finally decided to go with 20' whips and
Lee's Hi-Z preamps for exactly the reasons Lee states.  The total
area needed to be cleared is about one sixth, 4 short ground rods
versus 32 radials, and no need for the 16 top loading wires (and
worries about keeping them up with the many deer in our area).  The
only downside is getting power to the preamps since the site is ~800' away.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV