Re: Topband: DX Engineering Receiver 4 Square using W8JI PassiveElements

To: herbs@vitelcom.net
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Engineering Receiver 4 Square using W8JI PassiveElements
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:29:10 -0400

KV4FZ wrote:

> Here is one possible power solution...Home Depot and Lowes have self
> contained solar powered yard lights that switch on at dusk. Remove the lamp
> and use them for power sources at each pre-amp location. I don't know what
> the preamps have for current draw but I probably isn't much more than 100ma.
>  The the self contained rechargeable battery should handle that all night.
> If not add a inexpensive UPS supply replacements.  Such a power source would
> also mitigate any problems associated with ground loops, circuitry wire,
> power inserter etc.

 K5GO suggested something similar.  The only problem with this is that I
want to be able to shut off power remotely when lightning is in the area.
K7TJR's preamps have an internal relay which shorts the antenna when power
is removed so I want to take advantage of that.  The easiest solution is to
simply increase the supply voltage at the shack to compensate for any
voltage drop.  When power is cut all remote preamps are shorted as well as
the extra K8ZOA preamp at the shack.

73,  Bill  W4ZV