Re: Topband: Noise Cancellation Options?

To: AJ6TWalter Miller <aj6t@comcast.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise Cancellation Options?
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:23:58 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Walter Miller, AJ6T <aj6t@comcast.net>
> Subject: Topband: Noise Cancellation Options?
> To: Topband@contesting.com
> Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 2:16 AM

>  I have tried both the MFJ-1025 and MFJ-1026 noise
> cancellers with an external noise pickup antenna but I have
> not been able to achieve a null, even with equal S-meter readings
> from the main and noise antennas.

Hello Walter,

Those units have a "gap" in their phase range. The range should be a full 360
degrees, but it is only about 280 degrees. If you can't get a good null, then
perhaps this is the problem.

Take a look at the bottom of the page at
http://www.w8ji.com/mfj-1025_1026.htm under the heading "Extending Phase Range".

I have seen comparisons to other units, and the MFJ came out on top. I suggest
that you stay with those units; they are superb for noise cancellation.

73 Mike