Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: K4M on TopBand]

To: garry@ni6t.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: K4M on TopBand]
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:57:15 -0700
Garry Shapiro wrote:

>I sent the comment below to Dave, but since there have been several
>comments, it seems relevant to share it.
>I just want to point out that all Pacific DXpeditions listen for Europe.
>What part of Europe is heard depends to a significant extent upon when
>the DXpedition is QRV.
>
>Four years ago we went to Kure Atoll as K7C--about this time. We had a
>Titanex V160e on the tide line facing out across the lagoon, with 32
>radials and 700W. Being 1200 miles from Honolulu and thousands from any
>other significant place, and being experienced topband operators, we
>expected great things. We were QRV all night, every night.
>
>Great things did not occur. Every night at sunset a grinding noise
>appeared, and stayed until sunrise, S7 and more on the meter. One
>operator managed four QSO's with UA4 and that was the extent of Europe.
>We were never able to figure out where that noise came from or what it was.
>
>At Kingman Reef in 2000, we did better, at the end of October. But the
>prop would move west from zone 16---then zone 15, still holding up, then
>eastern zone 14, still OK through DL and even F. And then it would die.
>The UK cried out, as now. But what was there to do? The prop did not
>cross the Channel.
>
>If you think you are disappointed, you should have been here in zone 3
>for the Glorioso farce.
>
>Garry, NI6t

Gary,

I know a lot of folks (including myself) were disappointed with the
results of the FR/G operation, but in their defense I understand that
they were saddled by the military on FR/G with some pretty onerous
restrictions. They were essentially on-duty during the operation and
subject to the whims of the military command. For example, I heard they
had to shut down and eat with everyone else at the mess or go hungry.
Also, they weren't allowed to setup their antennas by the water so their
signals weren't as good as had been hoped. The list goes on. I am sure
they were just as frustrated as the rest of the DX community with all
these limitations, so it really pains me when I read disparaging remarks
about the operation. BTW, I am not singling you out, Gary. Calling their
operation a "farce" is pretty kind compared to many of things I have
read.

The only highlight for me was hearing them on 80CW at dusk for a few
minutes. Unfortunately, I was outgunned and did not get a QSO -:(