Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: K4M on TopBand]

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: K4M on TopBand]
From: "F8BPN" <f8bpn@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:48:07 -0000
Hi All,

I did read all the comments about the K4M operation and all the others about
FT5GA.
Let me add mine which may be will help to undestand.

First, sure location is location, you cannot win all the time.
For K4M, I have 2 QSO on 10 MHz, of course I wished to get them on others
band, 40 m should have been possible, they were coming through with a nice
signal every time I was hearing them, but the pile up was too big and the
jammers too crazy, so that's it. On top band I never heard them, may be
beacuse I was not at home at the right time. (I am working and it can take a
big part of my mornings, days and even evening...)
I knew it would be very difficult for me in the south west France, So, I
didn't really expect anything on the low bands.

About the FT5GA comments, I must say I am a bit sad to read what I read,
because it's absolutely not possible to compare these two operations, and
sur not to compare with VP6DX who clearly said that they would focuse on the
low bands.
The K4M and many recent expeditions went to the Islands or what ever DXCC to
operate on the bands and not to do that much esle (I know some of them had
to care about the wild life or something like this)
FT5GA had the autorization to go and operate on this Island under a lot of
restrictions.
First to be member of the team you got to be in the army, no civil operator,
only 5 operators could get "holidays" (if I put holidays in bteween quotes,
it's because the time they have been there will be deducted from their
holidays even they are in duty.)
With only 5 operators you cannot do the job a team of 15 or 20 operators can
do.
They couldn't operate all the time, they were doing a lot of work on the
Island which were keeping them away from the radio many hours per day
sometimes.
They were limited with the weight of the equipements, so they took with them
very light equipement, no Kenwood, Yeasu, Icom...etc sponsoring, Just one
answered that they will sponsor their next operation....
What said Mike W4EF is right, They had to stop operating when it was time
for breakfast, lunch or dinner. only one service, and no possible to bring
food to the station, not even a sandwich...
They were not alowed to set up their antennas where they wanted, they had to
put them up in the middle of the island, a long way from the beach because
of the turtles and all the wild life. Not good location for low bands.
If you add a more than S9 QRN because of all the storms in this area at this
time of the year.
May be you can undestsand better why their operation has not been what the
whole radioamateur community could expect.
Nobody can say Europe were getting so much more advantages, It took me two
weeks to go into the log, mostly because when I was home, either they were
calling JA, either they were calling NA.
It was better for EU whem I was at work, you must also do with your own
timetable.
Of course better for us because of the distance, it is a lot easier to all
US West Coast to work all Pacific.
What I wish to add also is, that they had this opportunity to go on
Glorioso, now, it took 5 years to F5OGL to get the bill, they knew all these
restrictions before going, but they choose to do it, knowing before that it
was going to be difficult.
Two others opertors was supposed to go, F5PTM is in duty in Afganistan
(T6YA) and F5PHW in duty in Tahiti (FO8RZ).
The time of the year was not the best also, but they didn't want to delay
their operation, the risk would have been to cancel it again for different
reasons the army could find because of this or that event
That's it, but any way there is more than 50 000 QSO in the log, more than
10 000 unique calls, which is not bad under these circonstances.

Taking all these restristions with so much respect, will probably alow them
to consider another DX expedition in the near future.

73/88 de F8BPN, Mau
f8bpn@wanadoo.fr
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ph-martin/f8bpn